Friday, October 16, 2009

BRING IT ON MOTHER NATURE!


Summer roses in our garden

Preparing my yard for autumn and a long cold winter, a detestable end of the summer ritual, proceeded forth today without notice. The world kept rotating. I always considerate it a “life sucks” adventure. Behind me rests summer memories of travel, warm pleasant times, grilled food outdoors and pleasant gatherings with family members. Ahead winter positions itself like a monstrous Sasquatch threatening with cold, icy days, dreary gray, bleak skies, and bone-chilling temperatures. For me, winter is a “life sucks and then you die” trauma. Once, before making Idaho my home, I longed for the crispness of autumn, colored brilliantly with trees toasting the advent of rainy winter days, and the smell of burning wood from homey fireplaces, smoke wafting through the rain-fresh air. That was then in California, and now is now in Rexburg, Idaho. The “now” finds me scurrying to clip and cut back the overgrowth of summer, stashing away yard ornaments, delicate hybrid roses, and pots that quite possibly could succumb to the brutality of Sasquatch. I worry about my ornamental Koi hibernating beneath miniature granite-boulder caves in the pond soon to be camouflaged by ice and snow.

Koi enjoying summer
Yet, those mentioned memories of traveling to London melt the frozen mind-snows as I review my photos, and fill my mind with adventure among the Brits. I love the British Isles. Scotland, my ancestral heritage, especially surfaces as a favorite destination. However, spending a few days in London this summer, taking side trips to Brighton, a seaside resort on the south coast, and York, a medieval city with a magnificent cathedral at its core, contributed to a forgetfulness of that which was left behind in the U.S.

London's Big Ben
Royal Pavilion at Brighton, George IV's "playhouse"

London Tower - "off with their heads"
A grotesque at Westminster Cathedral

Escape, defined as breaking free from confinement and control, perfectly describes travel. An opportunity to empty, and refill with new energy is necessary for survival of the human. One’s mind and spirit becomes confined and smothered, yearning, even demanding to be set free to sponge up others’ creative juices in magnificent architecture, and the historic leftovers exhibited in museums. Art stimulates and encourages the spirit to soar, and to breathe new life into the mind and soul. Eyes are opened to new possibilities. Rejuvenation!

Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Megan & Ryan

Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater

So, allow autumn her privilege of whispering what is yet to come. Mother Nature may be cruel and harsh this winter, but as autumn’s warning of the impending arrival of winter is confident, and beyond any doubt winter will kill what autumn has not, so is my confidence that life, for me, might suck were it not for those flashbacks of summer travel, family gatherings, and food grilling on the barbeque. Bring it on, Mother Nature.

Eating a Philly Steak Sandwich

S'mores around the fire in McCall

Amy celebrating her birthday in McCall with a giant cinnamon roll







5 comments:

  1. Isn't that the truth!? It is nice to reflect back on fun trips-I'm so glad you guys came to Philly! That was so fun!! ps I love that picture of Amy! That trip was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T.L.- Great post. I agree with you. I struggle each year with the winter coming up. John looked out the window the other morning and then looked at me in fear. I knew he was seeing the white stuff coming down. I told him I knew before he told me because I could feel it. I ache when winter comes. However; it does make me appreciate the summer months so much more. Hope you're doing well. I'm enjoying your blog. ~Lish

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I would be perfectly happy with winter if it lasted a month or less. I often find myself day dreaming of a place where it's summer all year long with an occasional chill to keep things interesting and then I remember that place is Arizona. Home sweet home. I really enjoy your posts, it's always fun to see peoples perspectives on life and things in general. I think that is what makes blogs so addicting, the curiosity of others. You should visit my blog: theseares.blogspot.com it tends to be random, but full of things that are on my mind. You could say I'm a random person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TL, I enjoy your comments. I always have. Thank you for shariang. If you could hear me as I read, you would know how much what you say rings true! Thank you. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While you are in this great clean up the yard mode would you like to come and take care of mine? :) It seemed so fun three years ago when I started to do it but the thrill is gone now.

    ReplyDelete